Starting your healthy lifestyle, getting back on track, or always been an avid health nut? Regardless of who you are, you need to know what not to do when you are at the gym. By correcting these 6 Cardio "no-no's" you will be off to a great start!
1. Gym slouch- Do not slouch when you are standing waiting for your next rep on the machine, or when you are doing your cardio on the stair master, elliptical, etc. Slouching gives your back a rounded look, preventing your spine from getting enough support which in turn does not help you strengthen your core. Stand up straight!!
2. Grip- holding on to cardio equipment too tight will cause the slouch as well as make it a little easier for you. Relax your hands and let your body do the work. You are at the gym for a reason, to workout, so let your body do just that!
3. Reading- Many people read while they are on their cardio machines. STOP! When you read, you tend to not get a good workout. You need to stop reading and focus on your breathing, intensity level, and body!
4. Walking with weights- Many people walk with weights, which seems to be a good idea, but it is not! Walking with weights affects your stride. Using these weights will cause you to walk at an exaggerated stride, causing stress on your back, quadriceps, shins, and ankles.
5. Cardio is enough- There are a lot of people that believe cardio is "enough." While cardio does create lean muscle, you need to incorporate weight training 2-3 times a week to see your best results.
6. Catching up with friends- If you can talk on the phone or with friends while you are doing your cardio, you are most likely not in your heart rate zone. Do your cardio at the gym as if you were doing your cardio outside!