A huge thank you to our friends at Whole Foods Market - Kentlands
for partnering with us to provide healthy eating options!
Vegetables soaked in a rich hummus marinade and then grilled make a superb topping for these tortilla pizzas, but you could also buy prepared grilled vegetables and just give them a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar.
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup Engine 2 Plant-Strong™ Roasted Red Pepper Hummus , divided
- 2 portobello mushroom caps , gills removed, caps cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow squash , sliced lengthwise into 1/3-inch planks
- 4 Engine 2 Plant-Strong™ Tortillas (Sprouted Ancient Grains or Brown Rice)
- 8 ounces baby spinach , lightly steamed and gently squeezed to remove excess liquid (about 1 packed cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 zucchini , sliced lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick planks
In a large bowl, whisk together broth, balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup hummus. Add mushrooms and toss very gently to coat; remove from bowl with a slotted spoon. Add yellow squash and zucchini to the bowl and toss to coat. Return mushrooms to the bowl and allow vegetables to marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Prepare a grill or grill pan for medium heat cooking. Grill vegetables until browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place tortillas on 2 nonstick sheet pans or regular sheet pans covered with parchment paper. Spread each with 1/4 cup of the remaining hummus. Top with spinach, basil and grilled vegetables. You can place the vegetable slices on the pizzas whole for a rustic look, or chop them first for neater cutting. Sprinkle pizzas with pine nuts and black pepper to taste. Bake until edges of tortillas are browned and crisp and pine nuts are golden, about 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per Serving: Serving size: , 360 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 56g carbohydrates, (12 g dietary fiber, .8g sugar), 12g protein.